To improve and enhance the physical, social and economic environment of the Eastside section of the City of Kalamazoo, Michigan. Our Goal: To have a neighborhood that is pleasant, attractive, safe and a convenient place to live and work.
To be an organization of integrity, be financially stable, and connected to our community in a way that is relevant. We will be an active community of residents and businesses working together for common goals. Our neighborhood will have the resources and creativity to address neighborhood issues in a timely manner.
In 1976, five residents of the eastside neighborhood got together to form an organization that became incorporated for the following purposes: To preserve our eastside neighborhood, enhance the neighborhood living concept, protect the natural beauty of the eastside and promote the well-being and neighborhood spirit.
The founding members also envisioned the Eastside Neighborhood Association as a vehicle to provide meeting space for a forum of open, frank and constructive dialogue between its inhabitants and governmental agencies.
We a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) charitable organization. We rely on individual donations, grants, and earned revenue to keep our doors open to our public.
- Purchased our facility in 2011.
- Facilitated a “Town Hall” meeting to secure resident involvement (input) regarding the first new housing development activity on the Eastside since 1991.
- Facilitated resident feedback to assist in drafting our “Imagine Eastside” Neighborhood Plan
- Became a Kiva trustee organization to assist small businesses to secure micro-lending services to help their business grow
- Served over 2000 individuals & families in during our 2018 summer Fresh Foods Initiative and summer youth feeding program.
- Developed a partnership with MI Works to act as a satellite computer lab for individuals seeking employment.
- Established another partnership with the AARP Foundation to host seniors looking to be re-trained to give them experience working in an office environment in order to expand their marketability.
- Partnered with Parks & Recreation to renovate Rockwell Park and equip the park with age-appropriate play equipment and other improvements.